Psalm 82 (CSB)
A psalm of Asaph.
1 God stands in the divine assembly; he pronounces judgment among the gods:
2 “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Provide justice for the needy and the fatherless; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.
4 Rescue the poor and needy; save them from the power of the wicked.”
5 They do not know or understand; they wander in darkness. All the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I said, “You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.
7 However, you will die like humans and fall like any other ruler.”
8 Rise up, God, judge the earth, for all the nations belong to you.
You, O Lord, are high
- above all the earth
- you are exalted
- far above all other gods.
All of the idols that I have worshiped for all of my life
- I place them into your presence
- so you will break their hands
- and snap their necks
- and sever their heads
- to kill them all off.
Moreso, I repent of all the times
- I was a god
- that I made it about me
- and my needs and desires.
- Without your gracious and soft heart
- without your Spirit dwelling in me
- without your Christ that came and rescue me
- I would die and fall like any other idol.
I love you, Lord, and all that is in me
- I will bless your holy name forever.